King James’s School is a highly successful comprehensive school.
We are dedicated to helping children develop into confident, sensitive and responsible adults who are able to play an active part in society.
One of the specialities already introduced is a ‘Derbyshire Breakfast’, sausage, smoked bacon, black pudding, free range egg, grilled tomatoes, field mushrooms, baked beans and fried bread!!
All for just £5.95, served 8am - 11am, 7 days a week.
The building, now known as Harkaway House, was substantially rebuilt in the 1960s. Kidderminster Poor Law Union was formed on 14th October 1836. Later Additions: Stourport (from 1928), Wribbenhall (from 1901).
Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 21 in number, representing its 13 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): County of Worcester: Bewdley (2), Chaddesley Corbett, Churchill, Kidderminster Borough (5), Kidderminster Foreign (2), Lower Mitton (2), Ribbesford, Rushock, Stone, Wolverley (2). The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 29,908 with parishes ranging in size from Dowles (population 62) to Kidderminster Borough (14,981).
Eden, in his 1797 survey of the poor in England, reported of Kendal that: The insides of cottages near the town exhibit every appearance of misery. In 1813, the union erected a workhouse at a cost of £4,990 and designed by Francis Webster of Kendal. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 67 in number, representing its 57 constituent parishes and townships as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians where not one): Westmorland: Ambleside (2), Applethwaite, Barbon, Beetham, Burton, Casterton, Crook, Crosthwaite and Lyth, Dilicar, Docker, Farleton, Fawcett Forrest, Firbank, Grasmere, Grayrigg, Haverbrack, Helsington, Hincaster, Holme, Hugill, Hutton Roof, Kendal (7), Kentmere, Killington, Kirkby Lonsdale (2), Kirkland (2), Langdales, Lambrigg, Levens, Longsuddale, Lupton, Mansergh, Meethop and Ulpha, Middleton, Milnthorpe and Heversham (2), Natland, Nether Graveship, New Hutton, Old Hutton and Holmescales, Patton, Preston Patrick, Preston Richard, Rydal and Loughrigg, Scalthwaitrigg-Hay and Hutton'ith Hay, Sedgwick, Skelsmergh, Stainton, Nether Staveley, Over Staveley, Strickland Kettle, Strickland Roger, Troutbeck, Underbarrow and Bradley-field, Undermillbeck, Whinfell, Whitwell and Selside, Witherslack.The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1833-35 had been £11,733 or 7s.10d. A new union workhouse was erected in 1836-8 at the east side of Sutton Road in Kidderminster.It was designed by William Knight and J Nettleship.Increasing demand for places required the construction in 1816 of a further new workhouse was erected in Hornes’s Field, now Broad Street. The Bewdley Overseers' accounts record the payment of a doctor to visit the sick in the workhouse, and extra food for them.Bewdley's workhouse had its origins in November 1736 when the Mayor and Burgesses of the town decided to erect a workhouse for the maintaining the poor. In the 1790s, such items included "Wine for the Sick 10d.", "Ale and Cakes for the Sick at times 4-2d", and "Cakes and Wigs [spiced buns] for the Sick 3d.".